The first weekend of March Madness created a lot of upsets. One of the great elements is watching the drama unfold. Compared to 2020 when all tournaments were cancelled, it was great to see the competition.
Have a great week!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
We encourage you to give generously to allow us to work to make meaningful change and to support the many organizations that are doing terrific work in this space. Please click below to make your donation.
Help support all of our work and initiatives by becoming an insider of the Sports Philanthropy Network or making a donation to support these specific initiatives.
NBA and NHL Organizational Spotlights featured this week:
SPORTS PHILANTHROPY WORLD
Sports Philanthropy World will be held virtually on June 28-29, 2021. Building on last year’s overwhelming response, SPW2021 will gather leaders from around the world to address current issues in sports philanthropy.
In 2020, we were privileged to have keynote presentations from:
- Warrick Dunn, former NFL player for Tampa Bay and Atlanta interviewed by Darrin Gray, CMO, Athletes in Action
- Richard Lapchick, Founder, The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports
- Leigh Steinberg, Steinberg Sports & Entertainment
- Diahann Billings-Burford, CEO, RISE
- Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, interviewed by Diahann Billings-Burford
- David Meltzer, CEO, Sports 1 Marketing
We had over 70 sessions spread across the Main Stage, 7 program tracks and small group workshops.
SPORTS PHILANTHROPY SOCIAL MEDIA
Stay connected with Sports Philanthropy Network by following our social media accounts:
NEWS FOR THE WEEK
TOP STORIES FROM WEEK ENDING MARCH 28, 2021
- March 28, 2021 — March Newsletter
- March 28, 2021 — Indiana Pacers Organizational Spotlight
- March 27, 2021 — Advocacy Groups Calls on NCAA to Address Gender Inequality
- March 27, 2021 — SPW 2020 Recap: Diversity-Equity-Inclusion Sessions: Minorities
- March 27, 2021 — Study Suggests Youth with Concussions May be Able to Engage in Physical and Cognitive Activity Sooner Post-Concussion
- March 27, 2021 — Germany wear ‘human rights’ shirts after FIFA said they would not take action over Norway’s protest
- March 27, 2021 — SPN Task Force Applications Closing Soon
- March 26, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy World 2021 Registration is Now Open!
- March 26, 2021 — Calls For Coaches – The Aspen Institute Project Play
- March 26, 2021 — Edmonton Oilers Organizational Spotlight
- March 25, 2021 — Harnessing Sports to Build Healthier, More Equitable Communities
- March 25, 2021 — Maryland Food Bank Gets ‘Amazing Support’ From Ravens During the Pandemic
- March 25, 2021 — SPW 2020 Recap: Diversity-Equity-Inclusion Sessions: Women
- March 25, 2021 — Health Officials say some Minnesota Parents are not testing kids for COVID-19 to keep sports going
- March 25, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy Podcast: S4:EP24 – Karen Doubilet, Global Executive Director of PeacePlayers International
- March 25, 2021 — Nine More People Accuse Calvert County Youth Football Coach of Sex Abuse
- March 25, 2021 — Blind, Autistic Olentangy Berlin Wrestler knows no fear, prepping for Ohio State Tourney
- March 24, 2021 — Concussions can be Diagnosed Through a Saliva Test, British Researcher Finds
- March 24, 2021 — How Park and Recreation Departments are Reimagining Themselves During COVID-19
- March 24, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy Webinar EP30 — Corey Clark
- March 24, 2021 — An Inclusive New Era for UW Athletics
- March 24, 2021 — Houston Rockets Organizational Spotlight
- March 24, 2021 —Impacts of Early Sport Specialization
- March 23, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy Podcast: S4:EP23 – Gary Stokan, CEO, and President of the Peach Bowl
- March 23, 2021 — Michael Oher, Who Inspired Blindside, Opens up About Mental Health: I’m ‘Still Dealing With Trauma’
- March 23, 2021 — San Diego Paracanoer Pursuing Olympic Dreams
- March 22, 2021 — Major Climate Polluters Accused of Greenwashing with Sports Sponsorship
- March 22, 2021 — NBA Star Stephen Curry Will Receive NAACP Jackie Robinson Sports Award
- March 22, 2021 — Arin Wright Puts Face on NWSL’s Need for Maternity Leave, Day Car
- March 22, 2021 — Pac-12 Conference Announces Engagement of Institute for Sport and Social Justice as part ongoing social justice and anti-racism efforts
- March 29, 2021 — The Young Athletes Short Season: What About Recovery?
- March 31, 2021 — Positive Coaching Alliance — Mental Health in Sports
- March 31, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy Webinar Ep 31: Creating Win-Win Partnerships with Professional Teams, Leagues, and Other Stakeholders with David Rhode
- April 9-11, 2021 — Pucks for Autism Tournament
- April 10, 2021 — League of United Latin American Citizens: Let’s Break Bread Together