Join us for S2:EP19 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Dan Van Dyck, Stand Up For The Cure, sits down with our host, Roy Kessel, to discuss how his organization uses Stand-up Paddleboarding to raise money for breast cancer research.
We Standup together to empower our family, friends, and communities to pursue an end to breast cancer. Standup for the Cure’s (SUFTC) mission is to build a compassionate community engaged in raising funds and awareness to fight breast cancer through events and programs that celebrate a healthy lifestyle.
Since 2012, Standup for the Cure has been providing free breast cancer screenings while uniting paddlers, fitness enthusiasts, yoga practitioners, medical professionals and the breast cancer community from California to Florida and Michigan to Washington in an effort to save lives.
Standup for the Cure forwards 100% of the donations and proceeds from each event to their local affiliate partner of Susan G. Komen. Donated funds are returned to the local community through Komen’s local affiliate in the form of breast health program grants to clinics and other local effective organizations for screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs for uninsured and under-insured women.
Our events offer free on-site breast cancer screenings and resources from our healthcare partners. Event participants fundraise with family, friends, and coworkers while our corporate partners support the cause through sponsorship packages and exhibiting opportunities.
Together, we have raised over $1.2M to date.
Standup for the Cure introduces stand up paddling to participants of all ages and skill levels. Our festival-style events foster wellness for the body, mind and soul with activities for the whole family, including paddling lessons, yoga classes, and friendly races. Each event is held at a beautiful paddling venue and includes a catered lunch and a hosted happy hour for participants.
HIGHLIGHTS OF DAN’S PODCAST
- 00:30 Background and work on prior paddle events
- 02:30 Experience running events and logistics management
- 04:15 Challenging aspects of putting together fundraising events
- 05:30 Costs of events
- 06:45 How he measures success of year-round programs
- 08:30 Difficulties of expanding to other markets
- 12:00 Importance of screening volunteers
- 16:00 Shifting calendar to deal with crisis
- 19:00 Fundraising in light of crisis
- 21:45 Structure of his Board of Directors
- 28:00 Lessons he has learned from tough experience
- 31:00 Length of time needed for pre-planning event
- 35:00 How he would push for great presence of paddle
Website & Social Media Links:
- Website: https://www.suftc.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StandupForTheCure
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Standup4theCure
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/standupforthecure/
- Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/company/standup-for-the-cure/