WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?
The challenges continue to grow for sports organizations as we head into the fall season. All the preparation and planning for high schools and colleges may be for naught as we observe the requirements of fighting COVID-19.
The rules change quickly, often multiple times in a week. It is very difficult for any professional league or major college program to consider all of the eventualities. Imagine how difficult it will be for high schools and youth sports organizations as they consider how to make the best choice to both protect athlete health and preserve the integrity of competition.
There are no easy answers. NONE.
We continue to compile COVID resources and we will start releasing more specifics and details about the best practices for handling these issues.
In case you missed our Sports Philanthropy Town Hall on Racism, Tolerance and Reform on July 1st, you can now watch the videos! Please make sure to take our survey after you watch the videos!!
You can see the graphics for the panels and speakers who participated in our event.
REPORT ON STATEMENTS ABOUT RACISM
In addition to the Town Hall meeting, we also released our comprehensive report which compiles all of the statements teams, leagues and sports organizations made about their efforts to condemn racism and their actions to combat racism.
Our goal is to spotlight those commitments, as well as find a way to track how well these organizations were able to follow through on their promises. We hope all of you will support and encourage organizations in your community to live up to the commitments.
We encourage you to give generously to allow us to work to make meaningful change and to support the many organizations that are doing terrific work in this space. Please click below to make your donation
Help support all of our work and initiatives by becoming an Insider of the Sports Philanthropy Network or making a donation to support these specific initiatives.
Since many states are opening up operations, we adjusted our schedule going forward. We are happy that we were able to serve so many organizations during the initial stages of the COVID-19 crisis and we look forward to having you as part of our Network.
- Webinars every Wednesday at 11 am ET/10 CT/9 MT/8 PT
- COVID-19 Sports Resource Page
- Combat Racism Resource Page (Coming Soon)
- Sports Philanthropy Podcast will be released every Tuesday, and Thursday
Check out our resource page which has lessons, tips, ideas and links to organizations that are offering free resources and free consultations to help through this difficult time. We hope you take advantage of these resources!
Roy Kessel (email@example.com)
Join our host Roy Kessel each week for the Sports Philanthropy Podcast.
Check out our new format for Season 3
Our Podcasts will be released every Tuesday and Thursday
To stay connected with the Sports Philanthropy Network follow our social media accounts
- Facebook: @SportsPhilanthropy
- Instagram: sportsphilanthropy
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/sportsphilanthropynetwork/
- Twitter: @SportsPhilanNet
- Youtube: Sports Philanthropy Network
TOP STORIES FROM WEEK ENDING July 27, 2020
- August 2, 2020–Let’s Make Youth Sports Fun Again
- August 2, 2020–Life Lessons Athletes Learn Can Make All The Difference When Being Hired
- August 2, 2020–Positive Coaches Inspire, Encourage, Direct, and Discipline
- August 2, 2020–The Best Mentors Help Kids Find Their Passion
- August 2, 2020–Players Enjoy Playing Tough Opponents As Long As They Honor The Game
- August 1, 2020–We’re “Building the Best” at Best of the Batch Foundation
- July 31, 2020–Lifetime Love of the Game
- July 30, 2020–SPN PODCAST: S3:E4-Bernell Hooker, IOU Sports
- July 29, 2020–PCA-Chicago Huddles Up With Coach Pat Fitzgerald
- July 28, 2020–Donation Helps Create Virtual Day Camp for Special Olympians
- July 28, 2020–Serena Williams Helps to Donate $4.25 million Face Masks to Schools
- July 28, 2020–SPN PODCAST: S3:E3-Quentin Williams, Dedication to Community
- July 27, 2020–Michael Jordan Donates $2.5 million to Combat Voter Suppression
- July 27, 2020–5 Tips for Parents to be the Best Backyard Coaches Possible
- July 26, 2020–Positive Coaching Alliance: Joe Maddon on the Importance of Playing Multiple Sports
- July 26, 2020–Listing: Grants for Adaptive Sports Equipment, Automotive, and Home Needs
- July 26, 2020–Positive Coaching Alliance: Constant Clarity Is Key to Team Culture
- July 26, 2020–How to Become Involved in the Sports Shed
- July 26, 2020–World Health Organization: Be Active at Home During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- July 26, 2020–Positive Coaching Alliance: Gregor Townsend-Keys to Leadership
- July 26, 2020–How to Handle the Pouting Athlete with Attitude Problems
- July 25, 2020–California Shuts Down Any Hope for a Return of Youth Sports Leagues as Coronavirus Cases Surge
- July 25, 2020–Cris Carter Remembers Going Hungry, so He’s Leading NFL Hall of Famers in Feeding Those Affected by Coronavirus
- July 24, 2020–Sports Philanthropy World Save the Date
- July 24, 2020–Positive Coaching Alliance: Sports Can Battle Racism Webinar on July 28
- July 24, 2020–National Lacrosse League Statement on Inclusion and Heritage
- July 24, 2020–Cubs Captain Anthony Rizzo Had Patients at Lurie’s Children Hospital Draw Signs for the Entire Team That Will Hang in The Wrigley Bleachers Today and Hopefully All Season
- July 24, 2020–Take This Personality Quiz and We’ll Tell You Which USA Sport You Are
- July 24, 2020–Miami Dolphins Legend Nat Moore Announced the 2020 Scholarship Recipients of the Third Annual Nat Moore Scholarship and Grant Endowment Program.
- July 24, 2020–U.S. Soccer Foundation 2020 Virtual National Training on Aug 6
- July 23, 2020–Aspen Institute Project Play: Return to Play COVID-19 Risk Assessment Tool
- July 23, 2020–Safety Measures in Place for Philadelphia Based Company: Round Rock’s Lacrosse Event
- July 23, 2020–SPN PODCAST: S3:EP2–LaVont’e Stewart, Lost Boyz Inc.
- July 22, 2020–National Wheelchair Basketball Association Creates Training Videos Amid Pandemic
- July 22, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Network: Recording of Town Hall on Racism
- July 22, 2020–The Social Change Fund
- July 22, 2020–NFL Centennial Celebration 5k
- July 22, 2020–Web Event: July 27 Steadward Talks with Gudrun Doll-Tepper
- July 22, 2020–Boost2020 Athlete Grant Program
- July 22, 2020–Player’s Health: Celebrating National Youth Sports Week
- July 22, 2020–Good Sports: Restore Play Project
- July 22, 2020–The National Alliance for Youth Sports Advocates for Youth Sports Relief on Youth Sports Day
- July 22, 2020--Wheelchair Basketball Drill at UTA — Partner Pull: Stop Start and with Dribble
- July 21, 2020–More Than 15,000 People Sign Petition for Return of Youth Sports Despite Coronavirus Pandemic
- July 21, 2020–CDC Releases Guidelines for Resuming Youth Sports Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- July 21, 2020–KC Mayor Asks Youth Sports Tournament Directors to Avoid Hosting Events Until After Start of School
- July 21, 2020–How Pacers’ Malcolm Brogdon Plans to Address Social Justice with His Foundation
- July 21, 2020–Virtual Education, CCD Collaborative List, RespectAbility
- July 21, 2020– NFL Planning to Allow Social Justice Decals on Helmets
- July 21, 2020–Former Badgers Back Jonathan Taylor Launches Scholarship Program
- July 21, 2020–New Jersey Football Teams Can Resume Playing Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
- July 21, 2020–Positive Coaching Alliance: Learning in Sports and Life Doesn’t Happen Without Mistakes
- July 21, 2020–The Aspen Institute Project Play: Is There Evidence of COVID-19 Outbreaks Due to Youth Sports?
- July 21, 2020–Texas HS Football: University Interscholastic League Announces Plans for 2020 Season
- July 21, 2020–Lockdowns Could Have Long-Term Effects on Children’s Health
- SOME FAVORITES FROM PAST WEEKS
- May 22, 2020–Favre Saga Highlights Risks Athletes Face in Charitable Endeavors–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report by Roy Kessel
- May 20, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Webinar, David Meltzer, Sports 1 Marketing
- May 17, 2020–Aspen Institute Return to Play Risk Assessment
- May 16, 2020–Rico No Suave 100th Episode featuring Roy Kessel, Founder of the Sports Philanthropy Network
- May 15, 2020–Recess is Necessary (Playworks)
- May 8, 2020–Ethical Leaders Live featuring Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Network Founder
- April 29, 2020–Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report: Youth Organizations Seeking Answers
- April 29, 2020–Play Ball: New Model For Baseball Season Simulation
- April 23, 2020–Roy Kessel for the Team Marketing Report Sports Philanthropy Spotlight: NFL Draft Leads Latest Creative Philanthropic Efforts
- April 15, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight by Roy Kessel (Team Marketing Report): Sports Nonprofits Fight to Adapt to the New Normal
MOTIVATION FOR THE WEEK
HUMOR FOR THE WEEK
Make sure to email your events to Roy Kessel at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can include them in our Sports Philanthropy Event Calendar!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our expectation is that most events will be cancelled. We encourage you to check with the individual organizations to determine whether events will proceed as scheduled.
Once we receive information about new dates, we will update them in our event calendar.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!
GIVE TO THE WORLD!