The Big Decisions Ahead
As we look ahead to the fall sports seasons, it is becoming apparent that several college conferences will not have football. The Big Ten and Pac-12 seem poised to cancel their seasons, largely based on the health and safety of players, staff and coaches.
The potential long-term damage to hearts and the great risks of the unknown are driving these decisions. We recognize that no athlete wants their season cancelled. The big backlash from athletes who wanted to compete was not surprising. Even when there are very clear reasons not to play (concussions, injuries, etc.) we see players attempt to get back on the field and compete. There is not reason that we should expect anything different here.
Time will tell how the story will play out. From a safety perspective, we believe that it is clear that the Big Ten and Pac-12 made the correct decision. From a PR perspective, maybe not. It will be interesting to revisit this era 12 months from now and see what the world looks like.
We continue to compile COVID resources and we will start releasing more specifics and details about the best practices for handling these issues.
In case you missed our Sports Philanthropy Town Hall on Racism, Tolerance and Reform on July 1st, you can now watch the videos! Please make sure to take our survey after you watch the videos!!
You can see the graphics for the panels and speakers who participated in our event.
REPORT ON STATEMENTS ABOUT RACISM
In addition to the Town Hall meeting, we also released our comprehensive report which compiles all of the statements teams, leagues and sports organizations made about their efforts to condemn racism and their actions to combat racism.
Our goal is to spotlight those commitments, as well as find a way to track how well these organizations were able to follow through on their promises. We hope all of you will support and encourage organizations in your community to live up to the commitments.
We encourage you to give generously to allow us to work to make meaningful change and to support the many organizations that are doing terrific work in this space. Please click below to make your donation
Help support all of our work and initiatives by becoming an Insider of the Sports Philanthropy Network or making a donation to support these specific initiatives.
Since many states are opening up operations, we adjusted our schedule going forward. We are happy that we were able to serve so many organizations during the initial stages of the COVID-19 crisis and we look forward to having you as part of our Network.
- Webinars every Wednesday at 11 am ET/10 CT/9 MT/8 PT
- COVID-19 Sports Resource Page
- Combat Racism Resource Page (Coming Soon)
- Sports Philanthropy Podcast will be released every Tuesday, and Thursday
Check out our resource page which has lessons, tips, ideas and links to organizations that are offering free resources and free consultations to help through this difficult time. We hope you take advantage of these resources!
Roy Kessel (email@example.com)
Join our host Roy Kessel each week for the Sports Philanthropy Podcast.
Check out our new format for Season 3
Our Podcasts will be released every Tuesday and Thursday
To stay connected with the Sports Philanthropy Network follow our social media accounts
- Facebook: @SportsPhilanthropy
- Instagram: sportsphilanthropy
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/sportsphilanthropynetwork/
- Twitter: @SportsPhilanNet
- Youtube: Sports Philanthropy Network
TOP STORIES FROM WEEK ENDING August 10, 2020
- August 8, 2020–Play Informed: Sports and Recreation Through the Pandemic
- August 6, 2020–SPN PODCAST: S3:E6-Michael Schoor, Spirit League
- August 6, 2020–Warren Co. Judge Greenlights Contact Sports For Some Facilities In Ohio
- August 6, 2020–Decision On Fall Youth Sports In Pennsylvania Delayed By Two Weeks
- August 6, 2020–NBA Pledges $300M To Support Black Community
- August 6, 2020–MLS’s Black Players For Change Are Just Getting Started
- August 5, 2020–New California Youth Sports Rules: No Games Or Competition, But Limited Outdoor Training Allowed
- August 5, 2020–Nonprofit Partners With Fox Sports To Provide Sporting Equipment To Local Kids
- August 5, 2020–Project Play Summit
- August 5, 2020–Timeline: The WNBA Has Been On Forefront Of Racial Justice Movement For Years
- August 5, 2020–How National Service Could Help College Grads and Youth Sports
- August 4, 2020–Can Youth and High School Football Responsibly Play This Fall?
- August 4, 2020–How Safe and Effective Are Face Shields For Youth Sports
- August 4, 2020–CHSAA Announces 2020-21 Athletic and Activities Calendar
- August 4, 2020–Minority Athletes Seek More Diversity In Their Sports Amid Energizing Social Justice Movement
- August 4, 2020–SPN PODCAST: S3:E5-Aileen McManamon, 5T Sports Group
- August 3, 2020–Stanley Cup Winner Shares Dark Moments Confronting Dyslexia
- August 3, 2020–The NBA and WNBA May Be Back, But Basketball Will Take A Back Seat To Social
- August 3, 2020–Youth Sports and Team Health Screening
- August 3, 2020–Dolphins’ 3M Will Have Lasting Impact On Our Community
- August 3, 2020–Four-Time Olympic Medalist, Simone Manuel Says She Still Feels Still Sometimes Feels Excluded As A Black Swimmer
- August 3, 2020—Youth Sports Tournaments Abruptly Halted
- August 2, 2020–Let’s Make Youth Sports Fun Again
- August 2, 2020–Life Lessons Athletes Learn Can Make All The Difference When Being Hired
- August 2, 2020–Positive Coaches Inspire, Encourage, Direct, and Discipline
- August 2, 2020–The Best Mentors Help Kids Find Their Passion
- August 2, 2020–Players Enjoy Playing Tough Opponents As Long As They Honor The Game
- August 1, 2020–We’re “Building the Best” at Best of the Batch Foundation
MOTIVATION FOR THE WEEK
HUMOR FOR THE WEEK
Make sure to email your events to Roy Kessel at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can include them in our Sports Philanthropy Event Calendar!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our expectation is that most events will be cancelled. We encourage you to check with the individual organizations to determine whether events will proceed as scheduled.
Once we receive information about new dates, we will update them in our event calendar.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!
GIVE TO THE WORLD!