COVID ISSUES COMING BACK TO CENTER STAGE
As we start getting closer to the fall sports season, the COVID issues are coming back into the spotlight. Fall seasons are being cancelled or delayed, athletes are contracting COVID and many organizations are struggling to figure out how they will be able to implement their programs in the fall.
Nonprofits and youth sports organizations are facing special difficulties as they examine how to protect athletes, coaches, parents and other stakeholders. No organization wants the spotlight as a result of illness or death.
We continue to compile COVID resources and we will start releasing more specifics and details about the best practices for handling these issues.
In case you missed our Sports Philanthropy Town Hall on Racism, Tolerance and Reform on July 1st, you can now watch the videos! Please make sure to take our survey after you watch the videos!!
LET ME WATCH THE VIDEOS AND SEE OUTSTANDING SPEAKERS!!
You can see the graphics for the panels and speakers who participated in our event.
REPORT ON STATEMENTS ABOUT RACISM
In addition to the Town Hall meeting, we also released our comprehensive report which compiles all of the statements teams, leagues and sports organizations made about their efforts to condemn racism and their actions to combat racism.
Our goal is to spotlight those commitments, as well as find a way to track how well these organizations were able to follow through on their promises. We hope all of you will support and encourage organizations in your community to live up to the commitments.
All donations from this page between now and July 31, 2020 will be earmarked towards programs under our Diversity, Equality and Inclusion initiative. We encourage you to give generously to allow us to work to make meaningful change and to support the many organizations that are doing terrific work in this space. Please click below to make your donation
DONATE NOW TO SUPPORT OUR EFFORTS TO COMBAT RACISM
Help support all of our work and initiatives by becoming an Insider of the Sports Philanthropy Network or making a donation to support these specific initiatives.
JOIN THE SPORTS PHILANTHROPY NETWORK OR DONATE NOW
Since many states are opening up operations, we adjusted our schedule going forward. We are happy that we were able to serve so many organizations during the initial stages of the COVID-19 crisis and we look forward to having you as part of our Network.
- Webinars every Wednesday at 11 am ET/10 CT/9 MT/8 PT
- COVID-19 Sports Resource Page
- Combat Racism Resource Page (Coming Soon)
- Sports Philanthropy Podcast will be released every Tuesday, and Thursday
RESOURCE PAGE for services, programs and ideas that are available to organizations during this COVID-19 (Coronavirus) crisis.
Check out our resource page which has lessons, tips, ideas and links to organizations that are offering free resources and free consultations to help through this difficult time. We hope you take advantage of these resources!
Roy Kessel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Join our host Roy Kessel each week for the Sports Philanthropy Podcast.
Check out our new format for Season 3
Our Podcasts will be released every Tuesday and Thursday
See our full list of Podcasts here!!
To stay connected with the Sports Philanthropy Network follow our social media accounts
- Facebook: @SportsPhilanthropy
- Instagram: sportsphilanthropy
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/sportsphilanthropynetwork/
- Twitter: @SportsPhilanNet
- Youtube: Sports Philanthropy Network
TOP STORIES FROM WEEK ENDING July 20, 2020
- July 20, 2020–Internal Report Alleges Racial Discrimination Against Black Athletes at Iowa
- July 20, 2020–Virtual Leadership Workshop for Teens: 20 Ways to Get Mentally Tough
- July 19, 2020–Youth Sports: Pop Warner and Sierra Youth Football League (SYFL) Football Programs Cancel Fall Seasons
- July 18, 2020–USA Soccer: Phase 3 Grassroots Soccer Recommendation Guide
- July 18, 2020–In Campaign Against Racism, Team Names Get New Scrutiny
- July 18, 2020–NFL Saints’ Michael Thomas Turns a $20,000 Donation Into $2 Million to Help Erase Medical Debt
- July 17, 2020– Beyond Sport Foundation and The DICK’s Sporting Goods Foundation Opened Applications for a $345,000 Collective Impact Award
- July 17, 2020–Aspen Institute Project Play: Why Youth Sports Matter
- July 16, 2020–Bringing Sport Back Includes Important Considerations for Amateur and Youth Sports Too
- July 16, 2020–Birmingham Youth Football Canceled for 2020 Because of Pandemic
- July 16, 2020–W.N.B.A. Star’s Role in Freeing Man From Prison Shows Female Athletes at Forefront
- July 16, 2020–Amazin LeThi on Going From Petite, Child Outcast to World Champion Bodybuilder & Activist
- July 16, 2020–Free Course by Future Learn: Sport for Sustainable Development, Designing Effective Policies and Programmes
- July 16, 2020–Youth Sports a Driver of COVID-19 Infections in St. Louis Area
- July 16, 2020–WNBA Player Angel McCoughtry Pitches WNBA Jerseys With Names of Police Brutality Victims to Continue Activism
- July 16, 2020–5 Ways Young Athletes Can Improve Their Mental Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- July 15, 2020–Philanthropic Spotlight: A Kid Again – Indiana Chapter
- July 15, 2020–The Tour de France United
- July 15, 2020–NFL Panthers Owner Makes Scholarship Donation to Local HBCU
- July 15, 2020–Sidelined: How Diversity in Canada’s Sports Leadership Falls Short
- July 15, 2020–Isreal Idonije, Chicago Bears Player, Helps Create FBRK Impact House, Chicago’s New ‘Philanthropy Hub’
- July 15, 2020–Ali Krieger and Ashlyn Harris Are Plotting Their Future
- July 15, 2020–Great Job Posting: Social Responsibility and Player Programs: NBA G League
- July 15, 2020–Youth Sports Coach, Coached Games and Went to Party While Infected With COVID-19
- July 15, 2020–Youth Baseball Tournaments Struggle to Adhere to Health and Safety Guidelines
- July 14, 2020–Starting High School Sports in January Creates a New Set of Problems
- July 14, 2020–Zappos Is Now Selling Single Shoes and Mixed Size Pairs
- July 14, 2020–All 11 Pro Sports Teams in Greater Los Angeles Unite as Allies in New Collaboration
- July 14, 2020–The Aspen Institute Project Play: Establish a Supportive Team Culture
- July 14, 2020–AAU Is Actually Holding a 17,000 Person Youth Volleyball Tournament in Florida Right Now
- July 14, 2020–Taxpayers Will Help Pay for Orlando Volleyball Tournament Amid Pandemic
- July 14, 2020–Aspen Institute Project Play: Survey, Parents Grow More Worried About Their Child Returning to Sports
- July 14, 2020–Good Sports: Help Restore Play
- July 14, 2020–Lebron Speaks and the NBA Follows
- July 14, 2020–Women and Girls Must be Participants and Leaders in Sport Recovery Plans, Says UN Women
- July 14, 2020–Athletes Are Fighting the Olympic Ban on Protests
- July 13, 2020–6 Photographers Capture Same Person but Results Vary Widely Because of a Twist (VIDEO)
- July 13, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Network: Save the Date for Sports Philanthropy World
- July 13, 2020–Evans Scholars Foundation: Silent Auction
- July 13, 2020–The Sports Shed Is in Need of Razor Scooters (Press Link for Donation Details)
- July 13, 2020–Little League Voices Support for Black Lives Matter, Showing New Willingness to Speak on Social Justice Issues
- July 13, 2020–The National Sports Forum Webinar on July 23rd: Diversity and Inclusion Unleashing the Power of Sport
- July 13, 2020–Hockey Canada Implements Mandatory Diversity and Inclusion Seminars for National Teams Players and Staff
- July 13, 2020–12 Ways to Spend Your Time During a Concussion
- July 13, 2020–New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) Pushes Back Start of HS Fall Sports, Announces Plan for Shortened Postseason
- July 13, 2020–Professional Soccer Player, Philanthropist, and Entrepreneur Michael Lahoud Joins The Shift Podcast
- July 13, 2020–Aspen Institute Project Play: How Should Youth Sports Handle COVID-19 Refund Requests?
- July 13, 2020–Little League: 5 Changes You Will Notice at Games Because of the Pandemic
- July 13, 2020–Drop the Ball: Health Department Shuts Down Youth Basketball Tournament
- SOME FAVORITES FROM PAST WEEKS
- May 22, 2020–Favre Saga Highlights Risks Athletes Face in Charitable Endeavors–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report by Roy Kessel
- May 20, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Webinar, David Meltzer, Sports 1 Marketing
- May 17, 2020—Aspen Institute Return to Play Risk Assessment
- May 16, 2020—Rico No Suave 100th Episode featuring Roy Kessel, Founder of the Sports Philanthropy Network
- May 15, 2020–Recess is Necessary (Playworks)
- May 8, 2020—Ethical Leaders Live featuring Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Network Founder
- April 29, 2020–Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report: Youth Organizations Seeking Answers
- April 29, 2020–Play Ball: New Model For Baseball Season Simulation
- April 23, 2020–Roy Kessel for the Team Marketing Report Sports Philanthropy Spotlight: NFL Draft Leads Latest Creative Philanthropic Efforts
- April 15, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight by Roy Kessel (Team Marketing Report): Sports Nonprofits Fight to Adapt to the New Normal
MOTIVATION FOR THE WEEK
HUMOR FOR THE WEEK
For more details, please visit our Event Calendar
Make sure to email your events to Roy Kessel at email@example.com so we can include them in our Sports Philanthropy Event Calendar!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our expectation is that most events will be cancelled. We encourage you to check with the individual organizations to determine whether events will proceed as scheduled.
Once we receive information about new dates, we will update them in our event calendar.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!
GIVE TO THE WORLD!