RACISM TAKES CENTER STAGE
This week we are releasing our comprehensive report which compiles all of the statements teams, leagues and other groups have made for about their efforts to condemn racism and their actions to combat racism.
Our goal is to spotlight those commitments, as well as find a way to track how well these organizations were able to follow through on their promises.
On Wednesday, we are hosting our Town Hall Meeting on Racism, Tolerance and Reform. This special event is going to be the launching pad of a Sports Philanthropy Racism Task Force that will work in this space to create meaningful and lasting changes in the policing system and beyond.
We hope that you will join us for this special event on July 1, 2020. You can see the current lineup of participants here. We have included diverse voices and perspectives and will focus on HOW to make changes, HOW to implement changes and HOW to create accountability for these changes.
All donations between now and July 31, 2020 will be earmarked towards programs under our Diversity, Equality and Inclusion initiative. We encourage you to give generously to allow us to work to make meaningful change and to support the many organizations that are doing terrific work in this space. Please click below to make your donation
Help support all of our work and initiatives by becoming an Insider of the Sports Philanthropy Network or making a donation to support these specific initiatives.
Since many states are opening up operations, we adjusted our schedule going forward. We are happy that we were able to serve so many organizations during the initial stages of the COVID-19 crisis and we look forward to having you as part of our Network.
- Webinars every Wednesday at 11 am ET/10 CT/9 MT/8 PT
- COVID-19 Sports Resource Page
- Combat Racism Resource Page (Coming Soon)
- Sports Philanthropy Podcast will be released every Tuesday, and Thursday
Check out our resource page which has lessons, tips, ideas and links to organizations that are offering free resources and free consultations to help through this difficult time. We hope you take advantage of these resources!
Roy Kessel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Join our host Roy Kessel each week for the Sports Philanthropy Podcast
Our Podcasts will be released every Tuesday and Thursday
To stay connected with the Sports Philanthropy Network follow our social media accounts
- Facebook: @SportsPhilanthropy
- Instagram: sportsphilanthropy
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/sportsphilanthropynetwork/
- Twitter: @SportsPhilanNet
- Youtube: Sports Philanthropy Network
TOP STORIES FROM WEEK ENDING June 28, 2020
- June 27, 2020–Student-Athlete Perceptions of Stress, Support, and Seeking Mental Health Services
- June 27, 2020–LeBron James, Trae Young, and More Create Voting Rights Group Ahead of 2020 Election
- June 27, 2020–Why Kansas State’s Student Athletes Are Taking a Stand Against Racism
- June 27, 2020–Positive Coaching Alliance Hosting Webinar with Northwestern Coach Pat Fitzgerald on July 10
- June 27, 2020–49ers CEO Pledges $1 Million to Organizations ‘Creating Change.”
- June 26, 2020–Positive Coaching Post on High School Athletics
- June 26, 2020–Dolphins Owner, Stephen M. Ross, Pledges $13 Million to Anti-Racism Initiative
- June 26, 2020–Positive Coaching Alliance: Webinar June 29 with LA Dodgers Foundation
- June 26, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Network Town Hall on Racism July 1: Click to Register
- June 26, 2020–Evolve Giving Group Hosting Webinar on June 30: What the Data Doesn’t Tell Us
- June 26, 2020–Aspen Institute and Society Program: Healthy Sport Index
- June 25, 2020–Positive Coaching Alliance: Val Whiting, Voices from the Black Community
- June 25, 2020–Philanthropic Spotlight: Laureus Sport for Good Foundation USA
- June 25, 2020–Chicago State University Commits to Closing Education Gap for Black & Brown Students
- June 25, 2020–Good Sports Announces Adidas Equipment Donation
- June 25, 2020–Apsen Institute: National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Director Is “Very Worried” High School Sports Get Cut Due to COVID-19
- June 25, 2020–Drew Brees, Wife Brittany to Sponsor Black College Football Hall of Fame event
- June 24, 2020–Bryant Gumbel Gives Powerful Commentary on the ‘Black Tax,’ the ‘Added Burden’ of Being Black
- June 24, 2020–Noprofit Organization, RISE, to Help Positive Coaching Alliance Battle Racism in Sports
- June 24, 2020–DK3 Wheelchair Basketball Will Host, Currents of Change: A Webinar on Racism, Discrimination, and Disability on July 1
- June 24, 2020–Golf for Good Vlog: Five Things to Know About Live Scoring at Your Golf Fundraiser
- June 24,2020–New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence: Domestic Violence Awareness Instagram Live
- June 24, 2020–SPN Webinar 27- Max Jensen, Patrick Norris, Good Sports
- June 23, 2020–National Alliance for Youth Sports (NAYS) Announces Webinar Series to Become a Youth Sports Administrator
- June 23, 2020–Skyhawks: Summer 2020 Virtual Camp Series
- June 23, 2020–The CDC Provides Tips on How to Protect Youth Players from Covid-19
- June 23, 2020–Northern Illinois University: Nonprofit Strategic Planning Webinar on July 8th
- June 23, 2020–NFL Holds Minority Coaching Summit as It Continues to Grapple with Hiring Issues
- June 23, 2020–Women’s Sports Foundation Webinar: Girls of Color and Title IX: An Unfulfilled Promise
- June 23, 2020–The Aspen Institute Project Play: Reimagining School Sports in America
- June 23, 2020–Researchers from Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (Israel) Develop Test for Degenerative Brain Disorder in Athletes
- June 23, 2020–US Soccer Foundation: Soccer for Success at Home
- June 23, 2020–PODCAST: S2:EP41–Dr. Akilah Carter-Francique, San Jose University
- June 22, 2020–Special Olympics Chicago/Special Children’s Charities Announce: Can Do! Run Series
- June 22, 2020–USA Soccer Publishes Phase 2: Grassroots Recommendation Guide for Return to Playing Soccer
- June 22, 2020–U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee to Celebrate First-Ever Joint Olympic & Paralympic Day Presented by Toyota
- June 22, 2020–Nonprofit Quarterly: Culture as Problem-Solving, Lessons from Global Governance
- June 22, 2020–Youth Sports Healing Trauma and Other Coping Techniques
- June 22, 2020–Movin’ Mavs Virtual Camp 2020– U-Turn Drill
- June 22, 2020–Good Sports Teams Up with Fox Sports to Restore Play and Revitalize Youth Sports Amidst Covid-19 Impact
- SOME FAVORITES FROM PAST WEEKS
- May 22, 2020–Favre Saga Highlights Risks Athletes Face in Charitable Endeavors–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report by Roy Kessel
- May 20, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Webinar, David Meltzer, Sports 1 Marketing
- May 17, 2020—Aspen Institute Return to Play Risk Assessment
- May 16, 2020—Rico No Suave 100th Episode featuring Roy Kessel, Founder of the Sports Philanthropy Network
- May 15, 2020–Recess is Necessary (Playworks)
- May 8, 2020—Ethical Leaders Live featuring Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Network Founder
- April 29, 2020–Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report: Youth Organizations Seeking Answers
- April 29, 2020–Play Ball: New Model For Baseball Season Simulation
- April 23, 2020–Roy Kessel for the Team Marketing Report Sports Philanthropy Spotlight: NFL Draft Leads Latest Creative Philanthropic Efforts
- April 15, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight by Roy Kessel (Team Marketing Report): Sports Nonprofits Fight to Adapt to the New Normal
MOTIVATION FOR THE WEEK
INCLUSIVITY FOR THE WEEK
Make sure to email your events to Roy Kessel at email@example.com so we can include them in our Sports Philanthropy Event Calendar!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our expectation is that most events will be cancelled. We encourage you to check with the individual organizations to determine whether events will proceed as scheduled.
Once we receive information about new dates, we will update them in our event calendar.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!
GIVE TO THE WORLD!