As the spotlight intensifies on all of the racial unrest, we are hopeful that more organizations will be accountable for the steps that they have promised to take. Words, though not necessarily easy, are much easier than actions. Our goal is to help shine the spotlight on the best actions and to encourage and support the organizations that are doing work to make meaningful change.
This week we are releasing our report which compiles all of the statements on statements teams and other groups have made for about their efforts to condemn racism and their actions to combat racism. It will be interesting to follow how many of them execute their actions.
Our Town Hall Meeting on Racism, Tolerance and Reform is going to be the launching pad of a task force that will work in this space to create meaningful and lasting changes in the policing system and beyond.
We hope that you will join us for this special event on July 1, 2020. You can see the current lineup of participants here. We have included diverse voices and perspectives and will focus on HOW to make changes, HOW to implement changes and HOW to create accountability for these changes.
All donations between now and July 6, 2020 will be earmarked towards programs under our Diversity, Equality and Inclusion initiative. We encourage you to give generously to allow us to work to make meaningful change and to support the many organizations that are doing terrific work in this space. Please click below to make your donation
Help support all of our work and initiatives by becoming an Insider of the Sports Philanthropy Network or making a donation to support these specific initiatives.
In addition to our fundraising efforts, we encourage you to join our weekly Webinars, follow us on social media and participate in the conversations!
Since many states are opening up operations, we adjusted our schedule going forward. We are happy that we were able to serve so many organizations during the initial stages of the COVID-19 crisis and we look forward to having you as part of our Network.
- Webinars every Wednesday at 11 am ET/10 CT/9 MT/8 PT
- COVID-19 Sports Resource Page
- Combat Racism Resource Page (Coming Soon)
- Sports Philanthropy Podcast will be released every Tuesday, and Thursday
Check out our resource page which has lessons, tips, ideas and links to organizations that are offering free resources and free consultations to help through this difficult time. We hope you take advantage of these resources!
Roy Kessel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Join our host Roy Kessel each week for the Sports Philanthropy Podcast
Our Podcasts will be released every Tuesday and Thursday
To stay connected with the Sports Philanthropy Network follow our social media accounts
- Facebook: @SportsPhilanthropy
- Instagram: sportsphilanthropy
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/sportsphilanthropynetwork/
- Twitter: @SportsPhilanNet
- Youtube: Sports Philanthropy Network
TOP STORIES FROM WEEK ENDING June 21, 2020
- June 21, 2020–Gladiathers Executives: Zoom Event with Vice President of Brand Strategy for the New Orleans Saints and New Orleans Pelicans
- June 20, 2020–Gladiathers Announcement
- June 20, 2020–NFL announces Two New Inspire Change Grant Recipients
- June 19, 2020–The Nonprofit CFO: Managing An NGO’s Finance Function
- June 19, 2020–Failure Is Not an Option: How Nonprofit Boards Can Support Leaders of Color
- June 19, 2020–The Aspen Institute: Find The Best Sport For You
- June 18, 2020–Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Foundation Named Honoree for Inaugural Sports Philanthropist of the Year Award
- June 18, 2020–Race Relations: Leading Constructive Conversations With Kids and Teams
- June 18, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Podcast, S2:EP42–Dr. Akilah Carter-Francique, Executive Director, Institute for Sports, Society and Social Change, San Jose State University
- June 17, 2020–Evolve Giving Group: Webinar Achieving Fundraising Resiliency
- June 17, 2020–It’s Just Way Too Much to Take on: School Systems Struggle With the Politics of Reopening
- June 17, 2020–Children Have Big Fun Learning Skills During Start Smart Program
- June 17, 2020–Just Being “Not Racist” Is Not Good Enough
- June 17, 2020–NCAA Leaders Are Using Woke Language, but the Message Doesn’t Match Their Athlete Labor Policies
- June 17, 2020–NFL Coach Jen Welter Teaches Kids About Social Distancing in New Books
- June 17, 2020–Addressing Racial Issues in the NFL Won’t Mean Anything Until Colin Kaepernick Is Signed
- June 17, 2020–The Huddle: Raising a Fist to Taking a Knee
- June 17, 2020–Coaches Fear Youth Sports May Not Get Through Coronavirus Shutdowns
- June 17, 2020–SPN Webinar 26–Lisa Anne Thompson-Taylor, Board Veritas
- June 16, 2020–NFL Bears Player, David Montgomery, Honored to Win Piccolo Award
- June 16, 2020–2020 Giving USA Report Both Surreal and Suggestive of Larger Change Needs
- June 16, 2020–Nice Words Aren’t Enough, Power and Money Must Be Given Up Now: A Call for Action
- June 16, 2020—NAACP Documentary Screening and Virtual Town Hall
- June 16, 2020–Dylan’s Candy Bar: Philanthropy in Action
- June 16, 2020–NFL Dolphins’ Tua Tagovailoa Establishes $300,000 Scholarship for His High School in Hawaii
- June 16, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Podcast S2EP40: Trina Bolton Sports Diplomacy
- June 16, 2020–NFL Broncos Player, Justin Simmons, Announces Establishment of the Justin Simmons Foundation
- June 16, 2020–Aspen Institute Announces Webinar: Reimagining School Sports in America
- June 16, 2020–Aspen Institute: Should Kids Wear Masks at Youth Sports Practices and Games?
- June 15, 2020–The Eyes Free Sports Podcast: Ep. 13 – Scoring a Goal with Ohio Blind Soccer
- June 15, 2020–Sports Apparel Doesn’t Always Fit Wheelchair Athletes. This Designer Wants to Change That
- June 15, 2020–NHL Blackhawks Defenseman, Brent Seabrook, Donates 200 Chromebooks to Chicago Public Schools Students
- June 15, 2020–Playing in a Pandemic: Iowa’s Restarting High School Baseball and Softball, Knowing Risks
- June 15, 2020–Equality in Education and STEM
- June 15, 2020–The Adam Schefter Podcast: A Global Timeout
- June 15, 2020–20 Minute Ball Handling Workout
- June 15, 2020–Movin’ Mavs Virtual Camp 2020 — PUSH-UP!!
- SOME FAVORITES FROM PAST WEEKS
- May 22, 2020–Favre Saga Highlights Risks Athletes Face in Charitable Endeavors–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report by Roy Kessel
- May 20, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Webinar, David Meltzer, Sports 1 Marketing
- May 17, 2020—Aspen Institute Return to Play Risk Assessment
- May 16, 2020—Rico No Suave 100th Episode featuring Roy Kessel, Founder of the Sports Philanthropy Network
- May 15, 2020–Recess is Necessary (Playworks)
- May 8, 2020—Ethical Leaders Live featuring Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Network Founder
- April 29, 2020–Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report: Youth Organizations Seeking Answers
- April 29, 2020–Play Ball: New Model For Baseball Season Simulation
- April 23, 2020–Roy Kessel for the Team Marketing Report Sports Philanthropy Spotlight: NFL Draft Leads Latest Creative Philanthropic Efforts
- April 15, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight by Roy Kessel (Team Marketing Report): Sports Nonprofits Fight to Adapt to the New Normal
MOTIVATION FOR THE WEEK
CARE FOR THE WEEK
Make sure to email your events to Roy Kessel at email@example.com so we can include them in our Sports Philanthropy Event Calendar!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our expectation is that most events will be cancelled. We encourage you to check with the individual organizations to determine whether events will proceed as scheduled.
Once we receive information about new dates, we will update them in our event calendar.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!
GIVE TO THE WORLD!