Another week of unrest
Another horrific death led to more outrage, protests and rioting. More videos seem to come out almost every day showing instances of abuse. The spotlight is intensifying and that is an important start for creating change. Athletes are lending their voices and really pushing back on the issues and stepping up in larger numbers to support this cause.
Our Town Hall Meeting on Racism, Tolerance and Reform is going to be the launching pad of a task force that will work in this space to create meaningful and lasting changes in the policing system and beyond.
We hope that you will join us for this special event on July 1, 2020. You can see the current lineup of participants here. We have included diverse voices and perspectives and will focus on HOW to make changes, HOW to implement changes and HOW to create accountability for these changes.
All donations between now and July 1, 2020 will be earmarked towards programs under our Diversity, Equality and Inclusion initiative. We encourage you to give generously to allow us to work to make meaningful change and to support the many organizations that are doing terrific work in this space. Please click below to make your donation
Help support all of our work and initiatives by becoming an Insider of the Sports Philanthropy Network or making a donation to support these specific initiatives.
In addition to our fundraising efforts, we encourage you to join our weekly Webinars, follow us on social media and participate in the conversations!
Since many states are opening up operations, we adjusted our schedule going forward. We are happy that we were able to serve so many organizations during the initial stages of the COVID-19 crisis and we look forward to having you as part of our Network.
- Webinars every Wednesday at 11 am ET/10 CT/9 MT/8 PT
- COVID-19 Sports Resource Page
- Combat Racism Resource Page (Coming Soon)
- Sports Philanthropy Podcast will be released every Tuesday, and Thursday
Check out our resource page which has lessons, tips, ideas and links to organizations that are offering free resources and free consultations to help through this difficult time. We hope you take advantage of these resources!
Roy Kessel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Join our host Roy Kessel each week for the Sports Philanthropy Podcast
Our Podcasts will be released every Tuesday and Thursday
To stay connected with the Sports Philanthropy Network follow our social media accounts
- Facebook: @SportsPhilanthropy
- Instagram: sportsphilanthropy
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/sportsphilanthropynetwork/
- Twitter: @SportsPhilanNet
- Youtube: Sports Philanthropy Network
TOP STORIES FROM WEEK ENDING June 15, 2020
- June 15, 2020–Salesforce: Leading Through Change
- June 15, 2020–Study: Racism Affects Even Young Kids’ Mental and Behavioral Health
- June 15, 2020–LA Dodgers Foundation: Bigger Than Baseball
- June 15, 2020—For Kids with Disabilities Sports will Return Much More Cautiously
- June 14, 2020–The White Man in the Photo with Olympians John Carlos and Tommie Smith
- June 14, 2020–Evolve Giving Group: COVID-19 Resources
- June 14, 2020–Spurs coach Gregg Popovich knocks NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for previously caving to President Trump
- June 14, 2020–W.N.B.A.’s Maya Moore to Skip Another Season to Focus on Prisoner’s Case
- June 14, 2020–Webinar: Reimagining School Sports in America
- June 13, 2020–Youth sports returning in Missouri under Phase 2 of state’s reopening plan
- June 13, 2020–NCAA Statement on Recent Protests
- June 13, 2020–NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Has to Put the Shield Where His Mouth Is
- June 13, 2020–Lest We Forget: We Already Have a Blueprint for Safe, Healthy, Post-Covid Future
- June 12, 2020–Couple Challenges Fellow Donor Advised Funds (DAF) Holders to Halve Their DAFs by September 30th
- June 12, 2020–Laureus Sport for Good Foundation USA Announcement
- June 12, 2020–How To Safely Resume Playing Youth Sports
- June 12, 2020–Boston’s NPR News Station: A Conversation on Sports, Racism and Police Brutality
- June 12, 2020–Letter from Birmingham Jail (ext)
- June 11, 2020–Maya Moore Gave Up More To Fight For Social Justice Than Almost Any Athlete
- June 11, 2020–The Athletic American Dream Does Not Exist
- June 11, 2020–SPN Podcast: S2:EP39–Natalie Hummel, Every Kid Sports
- June 11, 2020–Hall of Fame Coach Tony Dungy Sees Change Coming in Wake of George Floyd’s Death
- June 11, 2020–Yahoo News/YouGov poll: Majority of Americans Now Support NFL Players’ Right to Protest
- June 11, 2020–Nike Declares Juneteenth to be Annual Paid Company Holiday
- June 11, 2020–Large US Foundations Sell Bonds to Increase Grantmaking by $1.7 Billion Now
- June 10, 2020–Fox Sports 1 Analyst, Emmanuel Acho: Being Anti-Racist Means Calling Out Racism Wherever You See It
- June 10, 2020–Wisconsin Youth Sports Leagues Are Adapting Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- June 10, 2020– The Positive Coaching Alliance Comments on How Sports Can Battle Racism
- June 10, 2020–Glenn Merry CEO of Move United: A New Voice for Adaptive Sports
- June 10, 2020–SPN Webinar 25: Andrew Morton, Handler Thayer, LLP
- June 10, 2020–Japanese Tennis Player Naomi Osaka in No Mood to Back Down on Support for Black Lives Matter
- June 10, 2020–Leading Foundations Pledge to Give More, Hoping to Upend Philanthropy
- June 9, 2020–NASCAR’s Bubba Wallace will have Black Lives Matter paint scheme on car at Martinsville Speedway race
- June 9, 2020– SPN Podcast: S2:EP38–Melissa Harper, Good Sports
- June 9, 2020–A Para-Swimmer is Using the Gap Year to Dominate Cycling
- June 9, 2020– EFDN Interview- Sarah Medcalf from Newcastle United Foundation
- June 9, 2020– The Big Ten Conference Announces Creation of Anti-Hate and Anti-Racism Coalition
- June 9, 2020–The Aspen Institute: Will Youth Sports Embrace Apps Tracking Return to Play Rules?
- June 9, 2020–How to Talk to Your Children About the Protests
- June 9, 2020–NBA Legend Bill Russell calls Trump a ‘Coward’ for Not Acknowledging Racial Injustice
- June 9, 2020– US Olympic Figure Skater Adam Rippon Donates to Black Trans Cause in Anti-LGBTQ+ Skater’s Name
- June 9, 2020– Evolve Giving Group: What’s Next for Major Gifts? Part II
- June 8, 2020– Human Rights Activist Richard Lapchick Has a Gut Feeling That This Time, This Movement for Racial Equality May Endure
- June 8, 2020– A Call to Bring Back Youth Sports Better Than Before
- June 8, 2020–The Aspen Institute: Why The Time is Now to Coach Mental Health in Youth Sports
- June 8, 2020–Just Mercy is Streaming for Free This Month to Educate Viewers on Systemic Racism
- June 8, 2020—Minority Players Form Alliance to ‘Eradicate Racism’ in Hockey
- SOME FAVORITES FROM PAST WEEKS
- May 22, 2020–Favre Saga Highlights Risks Athletes Face in Charitable Endeavors–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report by Roy Kessel
- May 20, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Webinar, David Meltzer, Sports 1 Marketing
- May 17, 2020—Aspen Institute Return to Play Risk Assessment
- May 16, 2020—Rico No Suave 100th Episode featuring Roy Kessel, Founder of the Sports Philanthropy Network
- May 15, 2020–Recess is Necessary (Playworks)
- May 8, 2020—Ethical Leaders Live featuring Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Network Founder
- April 29, 2020–Roy Kessel, Sports Philanthropy Spotlight for Team Marketing Report: Youth Organizations Seeking Answers
- April 29, 2020–Play Ball: New Model For Baseball Season Simulation
- April 23, 2020–Roy Kessel for the Team Marketing Report Sports Philanthropy Spotlight: NFL Draft Leads Latest Creative Philanthropic Efforts
- April 15, 2020–Sports Philanthropy Spotlight by Roy Kessel (Team Marketing Report): Sports Nonprofits Fight to Adapt to the New Norma
MOTIVATION FOR THE WEEK
HUMOR FOR THE WEEK
Make sure to email your events to Roy Kessel at email@example.com so we can include them in our Sports Philanthropy Event Calendar!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our expectation is that most events will be cancelled. We encourage you to check with the individual organizations to determine whether events will proceed as scheduled.
Once we receive information about new dates, we will update them in our event calendar.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!
GIVE TO THE WORLD!