The first weekend of March Madness created a lot of upsets. One of the great elements is watching the drama unfold. Compared to 2020 when all tournaments were cancelled, it was great to see the competition.
Have a great week!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
We encourage you to give generously to allow us to work to make meaningful change and to support the many organizations that are doing terrific work in this space. Please click below to make your donation.
Help support all of our work and initiatives by becoming an insider of the Sports Philanthropy Network or making a donation to support these specific initiatives.
NBA and NHL Organizational Spotlights featured this week:
SPORTS PHILANTHROPY WORLD
Sports Philanthropy World will be held virtually on June 28-29, 2021. Building on last year’s overwhelming response, SPW2021 will gather leaders from around the world to address current issues in sports philanthropy.
In 2020, we were privileged to have keynote presentations from:
- Warrick Dunn, former NFL player for Tampa Bay and Atlanta interviewed by Darrin Gray, CMO, Athletes in Action
- Richard Lapchick, Founder, The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports
- Leigh Steinberg, Steinberg Sports & Entertainment
- Diahann Billings-Burford, CEO, RISE
- Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, interviewed by Diahann Billings-Burford
- David Meltzer, CEO, Sports 1 Marketing
We had over 70 sessions spread across the Main Stage, 7 program tracks and small group workshops.
SPORTS PHILANTHROPY SOCIAL MEDIA
Stay connected with Sports Philanthropy Network by following our social media accounts:
NEWS FOR THE WEEK
TOP STORIES FROM WEEK ENDING MARCH 21, 2021
- March 21, 2021 — March Newsletter
- March 21, 2021 — Minnesota Wild Organizational Spotlight
- March 21, 2021 — SPW 2020 Recap: Health and Safety: Athlete Abuse
- March 20, 2021 — MHSAA says New Bill Targeting Transgenders in Michigan is ‘unnecessary’
- March 20, 2021 — SPN Task Force Applications Closing Soon
- March 20, 2021 — Sen. Cory Booker: Congress Enjoys Leverage Over NCAA On Paying Athletes
- March 19, 2021 — Cleveland Cavaliers Organizational Spotlight
- March 19, 2021 — Athletes Call for Collective Action to #StopAsianHate
- March 19, 2021 — Stephen Curry and WNBAPA to receive Jackie Robinson Sports Award from NAACP
- March 19, 2021 — SPW 2020 Recap: Health and Safety: Heart Screenings and Cardiac Risks
- March 18, 2021 — Legacy After the Locker Room: S2:E2 – Rick Curti, CEO of the Charlotte Bats
- March 18, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy Podcast: S4:EP22 – Dr. Lindsay Krasnoff
- March 17, 2021 — U23 Coach ‘ordered’ To Train Women as a Punishment
- March 17, 2021 — Carolina Hurricanes Organizational Spotlight
- March 17, 2021 — MLSE Foundation announces $1 million investment in sports and wellness for Black Youth
- March 17, 2021 — SPW 2020 Recap: Health and Safety: Health and Fitness
- March 17, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy Webinar EP29 — Rajiv Khanna
- March 16, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy Podcast: S4:EP21 – Mary Hodge
- March 16, 2021 — SPW 2020 Recap: Health and Safety: Drug Education
- March 15, 2021 — James White Launching the Sweet Feet Foundation
- March 15, 2021 — Drew Brees Inks Huge Deal with NBC for SNF, Olympics, and More
- March 15, 2021 — Comcast Builds on Longstanding Commitment to Olympic and Paralympic Movement
- March 15, 2021 — Hunter Woodhall on Overcoming Bullying to Find Success as a Paralympian
- March 24, 2021 — SportTechie: State of the Industry 2021
- March 24, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy Webinar Ep 30: Corey Clark
- March 25, 2021 — U.S. Soccer Foundation: 2021 Urban Soccer Symposium
- March 29, 2021 — The Young Athletes Short Season: What About Recovery?
- March 31, 2021 — Sports Philanthropy Webinar Ep 31: Creating Win-Win Partnerships with Professional Teams, Leagues, and Other Stakeholders with David Rhode
- April 9-11, 2021 — Pucks for Autism Tournament
- April 10, 2021 — League of United Latin American Citizens: Let’s Break Bread Together