AVPFirst is a 501©3 nonprofit organization with a goal of inspiring healthy lifestyles and creating a lifelong connection to the sport of volleyball in youth and their families. Regardless of where they reside or their economic status, AVPFirst gives children the access, opportunity, and resources to beach volleyball through clinics, community events, and training.
At the heart of AVPFirst is a passion and desire to grow the sport of beach volleyball, targeting cities and communities not traditionally associated with the sport. Our community initiatives provide access, opportunity and resources to build youth programs that create a lifelong connection to the sport of beach volleyball for the children and their families.
One of the really interesting initiatives, is that AVP First partners with community organizations, not only to give them and outstanding day of fun, but more importantly, a year-round program that develops them as a person and as a volleyball player.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM TONY’S PODCAST
- 00:30 Background and desire to be an Athletic Director or Executive Director
- 04:00 Work experience in minor league baseball
- 05:45 NCAA Compliance experience
- 06:40 LA84 Foundation Program Director
- 09:00 Challenges of Development
- 11:15 Creating safe work spaces for sports
- 12:30 AVP tasked with creating safe sports space, competitive tournaments
- 16:45 Challenges of recruiting pro athletes for the program
- 18:00 Difficulties faced by kids in their programs
- 19:00 Breaking down through sports
- 20:30 Taking it back to the community
- 23:30 AVP support for the program and increasing capacity
- 26:00 Fundraising efforts
- 28:15 Biggest challenges to growth
- 30:00 Hawaiian tour and island clinics
- 32:00 Staff and growth
- 33:30 Sports performance and injury prevention
- 34:30 Number of kids served nationally and internationally
- 37:10 Tony as Commission of Major League Baseball