Join us for S5:EP2 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Todd McGuire, Managing Director of 11th Hour Racing sits down with our host Roy Kessel to discuss the insights on 11th Hour Racing! The organization works to assemble maritime, sailing, and coastal communities with an exciting approach to influence solutions for the ocean.
Todd talks about his passion for sports and 11th Hour Racing. Growing up Todd began sailing at the Greenwich Bay Sailing Association in East Greenwich, RI. Previously to joining the 11th Hour Racing team, he worked for 14 years in the corporate world, and would spend his free time sailing competitively. He was offered the opportunity to take a leap and join a new kind of sailing sponsorship to work on an American’s Cup. Sailing is a true passion of Todd’s and he fulfilling his dream! Todd joined 11th Hour Racing with hopes to highlight ocean health in the Race Village.
Established in 2010, 11th Hour Racing has channeled the power of sport with an overall and innovative motion through three main areas of commitment: Grantees, Sponsorships, and Ambassadors. The organization has strategic partnerships in the maritime and sailing communities to encourage systemic and collaborative change benefiting the health of the ocean. 11th Hour Racing has a very strong passion towards environmental change and is inspired through sports.
11th Hour Racing aims to educate and inspire others on plastic pollution through the sport of sailing. The organization works with maritime industries and the sailing community to advance in solutions that restore and protect the health of the ocean. They believe in encouraging environmentally continual practices off and on the water is critical to the repairing of the ocean and its essential resources. Come listen to the podcast below to hear more about 11th Hour Racing!
HIGHLIGHTS OF TODD’S PODCAST
- 00:00 Introduction
- 01:50 Todd’s experience sailing around the world
- 03:20 Todd’s career path leading to 11th Hour Racing
- 06:50 Sporting events spreading awareness
- 09:45 Understanding the problem of how plastic is getting into the ocean
- 12:50 Explaining how plastic is coming from the land
- 15:40 Todd introduces their new project on Composting
- 17:10 Todd talks about their sponsorships
- 19:30 Approach when working with their sponsors
- 21:00 Todd talks about the measurements of Carbon Neutral Racing
- 23:00 Impact of the tools that track the Carbon impact
- 24:30 Effects of measuring the Carbon footprint
- 28:00 Introduces their new project The Ocean Race
- 29:00 Growth of raising awareness of environmental issues
- 32:45 Grant Opportunities through 11th Hour Racing
- 35:50 Todd talks about his favorite activities outside of work
- 37:00 Todd’s passion for sports
- 40:00 Closing
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND WEBSITE