Join us for S4:EP44 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Jason Belinkie, Chief Operating Officer of Athletes for Hope sits down with our host Roy Kessel to discuss his personal experience as an athlete, his path working with sports, and the work Athletes for Hope is doing for athletes.
Jason oversees the day-to-day management of AFH and key strategic partnerships. Jason joined Athletes for Hope on the first day it opened its doors and has played a pivotal role in a multitude of areas within the organization.
Jason coaches cross country and track at the Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School and serve on the boards of Hope for Henry and the University of Pennsylvania Track & Field Team. He is also the author of a children’s book, Little Moments, which was inspired by his children. He is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School and Johns Hopkins University’s School of Education.
AFH is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit that aims to educate, encourage, and assist athletes in their efforts to engage with community and charitable causes, to increase public awareness of and support for those efforts, and to inspire others to do the same. Through this mission and the vision of our Founding Athletes, including Muhammad Ali, Mia Hamm, Andre Agassi and numerous others, we empower professional, Olympic and collegiate athletes to channel their energy for a common goal: to make a difference in the world. Since our inception 14 years ago, AFH has expanded our network and now works with over 8,000 athletes across 25 different sports and promotes equality, inclusion and diversity for all.
HIGHLIGHTS OF JASON’S PODCAST
- 00:00 Introduction
- 01:50 Jason’s Path in Sports
- 03:20 Challenges with Youth Sports Today
- 06:50 Looking at Sports at a Career Level
- 09:45 Vision for Bringing Athletes in the Community Together
- 12:50 Memories From Early Days of the Organization
- 15:40 Getting the Momentum Going
- 17:10 Bringing a Group of Athletes Together
- 19:30 Approach When Working With Athletes
- 21:00 Dealing With Negative Media
- 23:00 Impact of COVID
- 24:30 Effects of Social Media
- 27:00 Continuing to Engage the Community
- 29:00 Growth of Hybrid Events and Workshops
- 32:45 Future Opportunities
- 35:50 Where to Get More Information
- 37:00 Jason’s Favorite Stories from Athletes for Hope
- 40:00 Closing
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND WEBSITE