Join us for S4:EP36 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Ben Sanders, senior consultant at sportanddev.org sits down with our host Roy Kessel to discuss his background and the work being done at sportanddev.org.
Born in Zimbabwe and raised in South Africa, Ben Sanders is an expert and thought leader in delivering development outcomes through sport-based initiatives. He currently operates as a specialist consultant in this sector, working for the international platform on sport and development as well as a range of other influential local and international actors. His work has been used by the United Nations, Commonwealth Secretariat, South African state, and other local and international actors, to develop policies and programs.
sportanddev.org is an online resource and networking tool designed to help its users understand sports and development. The website connects users with practical tools, guidelines, and resources to inform sports and development related work. It also acts as a news source for all things sports and development and serves to connect individuals and organizations interested in sports and development.
HIGHLIGHTS OF BEN’S PODCAST
- 00:00 Introduction
- 00:50 Ben’s Background
- 04:30 Moving Toward Sport and Development
- 07:40 Work as a Sports Journalist
- 09:20 Transition to Working in Sport Development
- 16:00 Difficulties with Elitism in Sports
- 21:00 Importance of Access in Sport
- 29:00 Sport for Sustainable Development: Designing Effective Policies and Programs
- 34:40 If Ben Were FIFA Commissioner
- 37:22 Thanks and Goodbyes
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND WEBSITE