Join us for S3:EP7 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Adam Norse, Program Director, Downtown United Soccer Club, sits down with our host, Roy Kessel, to discuss how his personal growth and background influenced his passion for coaching and work with Downtown United.
Adam is passionate about the power of youth sports to equip, educate and inspire the future leaders of tomorrow. He focuses on ensuring DUSC offers a positive and FUN soccer experience to all its players aged 3-21 regardless of skill level, financial background or ethnicity. He strives to inspire athletes to maximize their potential both on & off the field. Adam has recently written a book for teenagers called “Grow Your Potential”. In addition to player education, Adam also plays a large emphasis on educating parents to understand what it takes to be a soccer parent in the evolving landscape of youth soccer.
Downtown United Soccer Club, Inc. is a not for profit organization that educates, trains and inspires youth soccer players of all ages and abilities in a positive, respectful, supportive environment. To encourage a community that reflects the diversity of New York City in which children can develop a lifelong love for the game and realize their full potential as both players and people. Serving approximately 5,000 participants annually in Downtown Manhattan and the greater NYC area, DUSC offers programs for players of all ages, genders and backgrounds.
Whether starting out in their mini ballers classes (beginning at age 3), or participating in highly competitive U23 Men’s or Women’s teams, their professional staff offer programs for all stages of development and interest.
HIGHLIGHTS OF ADAM’S PODCAST
- 01:00 Background
- 04:15 Adam’s Aspirations to Play Professional Soccer
- 05:10 Missing Elements in the U.S. Sports Landscape
- 06:30 What Age Are Kids Identified to Play Professional
- 10:20 Players Develop at Different Levels
- 13:00 Keep the Fun in the Game
- 14:35 Downtown United Vision
- 15:30 Keep Players in the Game
- 19:30 Sports is a Social Tool
- 20:30 Importance of Kids Staying Involved Recreationally in Sports
- 29:00 Rebrand Recreation
- 33:10 DUSC Program for Kids
- 37:00 Funding
- 40:40 How to Help & Reach Adam
- 44:00 Adam as Commissioner of All Soccer Leagues
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND WEBSITE
- Website: www.dusc.net
- LinkedIn: Adam Norse / Downtown United Soccer Club
- Instagram: @downtownunited
- Twitter: @DowntownUtdSC
- Facebook: @downtownunitedsoccerclub
- Youtube: Downtown United Soccer Club