Join us for S3:EP17 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Kathy McAllister, Executive Director of GOALS Haiti, sits down with our host, Roy Kessel, to discuss her experiences and the impact GOALS has had on the communities in Haiti by giving youth and their families opportunities to play while achieving long-lasting development through sport.
Kathy is passionate about grassroots community development and has dedicated the last 18 years to doing that in Haiti. As a fluent Haitian Creole speaker she first came to Haiti as a Peace Corps volunteer in 2002 and then started her own non profit, Sustainable Haiti in 2003. Kathy has a background in nonprofit management, development and is a graduate from the University of WA.
GOALS uses soccer in Haiti to engage youth and their families in programs that emphasize education, health and the environment to improve their quality of life on a daily basis. Through leadership development and social change initiatives they are creating stronger, healthier communities in rural Haiti.
HIGHLIGHTS OF KATHY’S PODCAST
- 00:50 Kathy’s Background
- 02:50 Journey to Haiti
- 04:20 Connection to Soccer
- 05:45 How Are Women Impacted Within Sports in Haiti
- 09:00 Equal Play for Boys and Girls
- 11:35 Access to Education
- 14:00 Age Groups within GOALS
- 14:55 Progression of the Kids
- 17:40 Selection and Training of Coaches
- 20:25 Growth and Impact of Kids Being Served
- 23:37 How to Make an Impact
- 27:40 Accumulating Funds to Support GOALS
- 30:00 GOALS Staff
- 31:25 How to Support GOALS Haiti
- 33:15 Kathy as Commissioner of MLS
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND WEBSITE