Welcome to Season 3 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast!
Join us for S3:EP10 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Mark Jackson, Board of Directors, Denver Broncos Alumni Charities, sits down with our host, Roy Kessel, to discuss how his early career and NFL days translates into his current work and passions today.
Mark currently works as a business development/mortgage advisor for Sunflower Bank and a mortgage sales leader at Guardian Mortgage in Denver. Jackson is also a talk show host for Mile High Sports Radio.
Mark Jackson is a former wide receiver who wore #80 for the Denver Broncos. He played at Purdue University and was drafted in the 6th round by the Broncos in 1986. He played for Denver from 1986-1992 before playing for the Giants and the Colts. Mark was one of the Three Amigos (along with Vance Johnson and Ricky Nattiel). He was on the receiving end of the legendary John Elway come-from-behind win over Cleveland. That iconic moment is known as, “The Drive”.
The Denver Broncos Alumni Association was formed in 1991 in order to give former players the opportunity to remain actively involved with the Denver Broncos organization. Anyone who has ever run out of the tunnel in the Orange and Blue is eligible to join the Alumni Association.
Owner Pat Bowlen and the entire Broncos Organization have always been very supportive of former players, but it’s still tough to leave football and lose the direct day-to-day connection that you used to have with the team. The Denver Broncos Alumni Association is a gathering place for former players. It allows them to stay close to the team that they love, it gives access to resources to help make the transition away from football, and it gives them the opportunity to continue supporting the community.
In 2005, the Alumni created the Denver Broncos Alumni Charities, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. The Charities and the Association work in tandem to support organizations throughout the Metro Denver region and beyond, helping to change the lives of at-risk youth and create a legacy for which the Broncos Alumni can be proud.
HIGHLIGHTS OF MARK’S PODCAST
- 00:50 Early Career
- 03:55 When Mark Decided Football Was His Sport
- 07:50 Hard Work, Dedication and Commitment
- 08:47 Hard Working Guys v. Those with Higher Credentials, etc.
- 12:20 Impact of Work Ethic, Ability to Pick Up Plays and Attitude
- 17:00 NFL Career Translating into Current Work
- 22:15 Working in the Community/Non-Profits While Playing Sports
- 26:00 Demands on the Athletes & Their Time
- 28:45 How to Select Organizations in the Community
- 32:30 Mark’s Passions
- 33:45 Mark as Commissioner of the NFL
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND WEBSITE
- Website: Denver Broncos Alumni Association
- LinkedIn: Mark Jackson
- Twitter: @GoBroncosAlumni
- Facebook: Denver Broncos Alumni