Join us for S2:EP30 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Mary Morten of Morten Group sits down with our host, Roy Kessel, to discuss how she helps so many nonprofit organizations grow, fundraise and make a greater impact in their communities.
Mary Morten is the President of Morten Group (MG), a national consulting firm established in November 2001 to focus on clients in the nonprofit, for profit, and foundation fields. Morten Group is comprised of a multiracial, cross-generational group of professionals—an intentional component of their business model. The firm focuses on diversity, racial equity and inclusion, executive placements, research and organizational development. Mary recently launched her own podcast on non profits, foundations and equity and inclusion topics. “Gathering Ground” can be found on itunes, Spotify and wherever you find your podcasts.
Previous positions include Associate Director, Interim Executive Director and Board President of Chicago Foundation for Women, the region’s largest women’s fund; as well as Interim Executive Director of Chicago Legal Advocacy for Incarcerated Mothers (CLAIM); and Interim Vice President of Development at Howard Brown Health Center.
Mary is a past Director of the Office of Violence Prevention for the Chicago Department of Public Health. Prior to this position, Mary was an appointee for Mayor Richard M. Daley and served as a Director in the Chicago Commission on Human Relations.
Mary holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in communications with an emphasis in radio and television from Loyola University Chicago and is a member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals, the Association of Consultants to Nonprofits and the Society for Human Resource Management.
HIGHLIGHTS OF MARY’S PODCAST
- 00:30 Background in Chicago and Loyola University
- 02:00 Four pillars of services of Morten Group
- 04:00 Main areas of concentration
- 07:00 Assessing an organization
- 09:30 Safe and Brave space for meetings
- 13:00 Define group that needs evaluation
- 17:00 Challenges working with young employees
- 21:00 Effective communication workshops
- 25:00 Diversity, Equality and Inclusion Workshops
- 27:00 Analysis of microaggressions
- 31:30 Organizational resource development
- 34:00 Fundraising in crisis
- 42:45 Mary as Commissioner of Volleyball