Join us for S2:EP28 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Joe Hewitt of the Sports Creative sits down with our host, Roy Kessel, to discuss how his early work in South Africa set him in the direction of global support for youth sports organizations.
Joe believes that every young person should have access to the power of play in their community. The Sports Creative creates community-led sports & arts programs for at-risk youth, supporting their physical, social, and emotional well-being. #PowerOfPlay
The Sports Creative believes that true social change needs to be designed and implemented by the community itself. Its methodology provides the framework for a sustainable community-led program. Like any creative process, there are key elements needed for the artist – the owner of the creation – to succeed.
HIGHLIGHTS OF JOE’S PODCAST
- 00:30 Background as a youth worker in East London
- 03:30 Work in South Africa and spark for the future
- 06:00 Launch of the Sports Creative
- 09:30 Work experience in Brazil for Street Child World Cup
- 12:00 Importance of local advisory group for success
- 16:30 Obstacles to getting programs off of the ground
- 19:00 Strategies for creating sustainable local programs
- 23:00 Partnerships with funders to support programs
- 29:00 Getting to know the local communities
- 33:00 Future locations and partnerships
- 37:45 President of FIFA and importance of saving England from penalty kick disasters