Join us for S2:EP23 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Doug Garner, the Assistant Director of Campus Recreation for Adaptive Sports at the University of Texas-Arlington (UTA) sits down with our host, Roy Kessel, to discuss how UTA has built up one of the best adaptive sports programs in the country.
Doug takes us through his transition into the adaptive sports world, the growth that he has seen in different adaptive sports and how he addresses the challenges and misconceptions that accompany his work.
Doug’s insight into how many new sports are joining the adaptive landscape and how more colleges are jumping in as well is worth the listen!
HIGHLIGHTS OF DOUG’S PODCAST
- 00:30 Background and how he got into adaptive sports
- 06:00 Types of adaptive sports he manages at UTA
- 09:00 Adaptive sports on college campuses
- 13:00 Challenges and issues of finding space
- 15:30 Costs of adaptive sports equipment
- 18:00 Types of funding and support for UTA program
- 19:00 Growth of paralympic sports
- 22:00 Increase in number of adaptive sports offered
- 27:00 Risks of injury and competitive challenges
- 30:00 Future of adaptive sports
- 33:00 Needs for adaptive sports programs to succeed
- 37:30 Doug as Commissioner of Collegiate Wheelchair Basketball
Website & Social Media Links: