Join us for S2:EP21 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Darren Port, Powered By Professionals, sits down with our host, Roy Kessel, to discuss how his organization takes the operating burden off of individuals running the nonprofit.
Darren is the CEO and founder of Powered by Professionals (PBP). After going through a personal loss at a young age, Darren has spent his life volunteering and giving back. He has used his 25 years of fundraising experience to successfully raise money and coordinate events for PBP’s clients as well as other national organizations and companies including the American Red Cross, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), Make A Wish Foundation, the University of Maryland, Webstakes.com and Entrepreneurs Organizations (EO). As of December of 2019, he has helped PBP’s clients raise over $130 million dollars towards fulfilling these non-profits’ missions.
Since founding PBP, Darren and the PBP team have launched 14 different charitable organizations in addition to working with close to 100 non-profits. Darren has also worked to expand PBP’s offerings from fundraising and event management to include board development, strategic planning, direct mail, back office support, and more. Under Darren’s guidance, countless community members have been able to rise up from devastation and work with PBP to channel their grief and compassion into sustainable and popular foundations that continue to make a difference every day. His areas of expertise include corporate sponsorship solicitations, membership development and public speaking. He has recently been solicited to speak to numerous corporations and organizations concerning the importance of philanthropy and charitable giving.
Darren is a proud Terp and holds a B.S. in Marketing from the University of Maryland. He resides in New Jersey with his wife, Jill, and their daughters, Erika and Gabrielle. He is an avid sports fan and competitor as proven by his completion of eight New York City Marathons and the Lake Placid Ironman Triathlon.
HIGHLIGHTS OF DARREN’S PODCAST
- 00:30 Background, education and father with cancer
- 07:00 Capabilities of PBP
- 09:00 Early days of PBP and key areas
- 12:00 Importance of ongoing data
- 13:45 Leveraging expertise on your board
- 15:00 Onboarding and evaluation process
- 19:00 How evaluate where the organization stands
- 26:00 Creating a sustainable organization
- 28:00 Differences from other consultants
- 33:00 Working with a Board of Directors
- 34:30 Fundraising event process-organizational chart
- 37:00 Importance of communication during a crisis
- 42:00 Darren as Commissioner of MLB
Website & Social Media Links:
Darren’s Email: Darren@poweredbyprofessionals.com