Join us for S3:EP17 of the Legacy After the Locker Room Podcast as Randall Thompson, former MLB pitcher, sits down with our host Kayla Bradham to share his story and business venture after the big leagues.
Randall started playing the game of baseball at 5 years old and eventually got paid to play thanks to the Toronto Blue Jays. From a very young age, he always had two unexplainable loves: baseball and being creative. Filled with concepts and ideas (some better than others) he eventually combined the two and founded Dugout Mugs®, and introduced the Dugout Mug, the Wined Up, and the Knob Shot to the baseball world. In his free time, Randall likes to play tetherball and read about patent and trademark law.
Dugout Mugs™ are baseball bat drinking mugs! The bat mugs were created for one reason, and one reason ONLY… Give baseball fans, baseball players, and baseball parents a new & awesome way to enjoy the game they love so much!
Back in 2014 while coaching at Florida Tech, Randall Thompson was sitting in the dugout and listening to the hitting coach tell the guys to “FOCUS ON THE HANDS.” To emphasize his point, he cut off the top of a baseball bat and left the barrel sitting on the bench… BOOM! The idea hit Randall like a 12th inning walk-off, “I could definitely drink from a bat!” he said to himself… The rest is history!
Shortly after, he began pursuing his vision (July 2014) by sketching the very first Bat Mug on a scrap piece of paper. After being released from baseball, Randall knew that it was time to POUR his creativity into something he was passionate about. The result was the Thompson Mug Company and the Dugout Mug™ baseball bat mug.
HIGHLIGHTS OF RANDALL’S PODCAST
- 00:00 Introduction
- 01:00 RT’s Story to the Big Leagues
- 01:55 Biggest Lesson in Minor Leagues
- 03:00 Business Ventures After Baseball
- 04:40 RT’s Dugout Mug Idea
- 05:20 RT Showing the Dugout Mug
- 06:20 Where is Dugout Mugs Now?
- 07:45 Advice to People With Great Ideas
- 09:15 Patenting a Product
- 11:00 Day in the Life of RT
- 12:00 Different Verisons of the Dugout Mug
- 13:25 Announcements
- 13:55 What’s Next?
- 15:40 What Did RT Want to Be When He Was Little?
- 17:15 Commitment to Philanthropy & Community
- 20:00 Creating the Culture
- 23:05 Advice to Boys & Girls Wanting to Play Baseball
- 25:15 Donation to Special Olympics
- 25:40 RT’s Favorite Baseball Player of All Time
- 26:15 Best Coach & Why
- 29:40 Shout Outs & Thank Yous
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND WEBSITE
- Website: dugoutmugs.com
- Facebook: @dugoutmug
- Instagram: @dugoutmugs
- Twitter: @DugoutMugs
- LinkedIn: Randall Thompson