Laureus USA is pleased to announce funding opportunities for sport for development organizations operating in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York City. These funds are designed as single year grants as part of Laureus USA’s commemorative 20th anniversary fund.
All applications will be considered on the basis of the specific proposal for this grant cycle which will run July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021. Organizations may propose funding for an ongoing project or initiative; however, no preference is given to re-funding previous grant partners.
About Laureus USA
Laureus USA works to change the lives of youth and empower communities through the power of sport. We are a part of the global network of Laureus foundations using sport to tackle violence, discrimination and disadvantage in over 40 countries.
Who We Fund
Laureus USA funds non-profit sport for development organizations that intentionally address a particular and relevant social issue facing youth, while increasing physical activity and enhancing social-emotional development.
- Laureus USA will fund organizations using sport to create impact in one or more of the following social focus areas:
- Education – More youth attending and completing school with increased attainment
- Health and Well-being – Reducing childhood obesity, increasing physical activity, and/or increasing social-emotional learning assets in children and youth
- Employment – Increasing technical skills, qualifications, and soft skills of youth that help prepare youth for employment
- Inclusive Society – Creating communities which embrace ethnic, cultural, and physical difference
- Peaceful Society – Resolving conflict, supporting community peacemaking, and access to safe spaces
- Women and Girls – Promoting equity, empowerment, and safety
- Funding will be granted to organizations:
- Operating in, serving youth from, or planning to serve youth from the Westside neighborhoods of Atlanta, New York City’s five boroughs, within Chicagoland, or within the city limits of Los Angeles
- Organizations that demonstrate a sustainable organizational structure
- Organizations that demonstrate commitment to leadership and resource development in the field of sport for development
- Successful applicants will:
- Highlight primary and secondary social focus areas
- Demonstrate basic standards in the areas of child protection, governance, monitoring and evaluation, partnership, and financial stewardship
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion across internal practices (leadership, staffing, and governance) as well as in programming and community engagement
- Commit to implementing Algorhythm’s Hello Insight platform to measure social emotional learning in program participants (sponsored by Laureus)
Priority will be given to those organizations who are actively collaborating with other organizations, schools, and agencies, as well as organizations participating in local youth program quality initiatives.
How Long and How Much we Fund
Laureus USA will make one-year general operating grants to local organizations. Grants are available at either $25,000 or $50,000. Organizations may request one of these two amounts. Preference will be given to applications that propose efficient and optimal use of their budget.
Who We Do Not Fund
- Organizations that do not emphasize positive youth development through their programming
- Organizations that are unable or unwilling to implement the Hello Insight software platform
- Other foundations or intermediaries that do not provide direct sports-based youth development programming to youth
- Pay to play organizations such as for-profit youth sports leagues
- Projects focused on training for elite-level athletic achievement
- Schools and/or scholastic sports leagues
Organizations interested in applying for funding should complete an online Expression of Interest (EOI) form. Only successful EOI applicants will be invited to complete a full application.
All successful applicants will be expected to:
- Submit bi-annual reports using the Laureus USA report template
- Commit to site visits once annually for program observation and data collection
- Implement Algorhythm’s Hello Insight tool to measure social-emotional learning outcomes in a designated sample of youth twice annually with Laureus USA support
Expression of Interest Due: March 13th by 5pm EST (click here for link)
Invitations to Full Application Extended: March 30th by 5pm EST
Application How-to Webinars: Week of March 30th – April 3rd
Applications Due: May 1st by 5pm
Notification of Awards: May 25th by 5pm
Questions? Please contact Sara McLaughlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.