Join us for S3:EP1 of the Legacy After the Locker Room Podcast as Reggie Walker, a former NFL athlete and Team Captain sits down with our host Kayla Bradham to discuss the NFL and his experience of being mentally, physically, and sexually abused, and how that has affected him and led him towards a new career.
Reggie Walker is a former NFL linebacker who began his career playing for Kansas State University before being drafted by the San Diego Chargers in 2013. After a six-year career, he decided to retire from football, returning to Kansas State University as a student to complete his undergraduate degree.
Reggie is a mental, physical, and sexual abuse survivor and survivor advocate. He is a TEDx speaker, Board Member of 1in6.org, an entrepreneur, and author. Reggie currently lives in Kansas City with his wife, Chelsea, and their two daughters. His sights are now firmly set on earning a master’s degree in counseling and helping other men and athletes on their path to recovery.
HIGHLIGHTS OF REGGIE’S PODCAST
- 00:00 Introduction
- 00:25 Football story
- 02:28 NFL life
- 05:10 Exit from the NFL
- 06:25 Treatment and journey to healing
- 10:00 Dealing with emotions
- 13:12 Was it okay to not be okay?
- 15:15 Advice for athletes coming out of the league
- 18:12 Family support
- 19:37 Stigma around men and mental health
- 22:45 What he’s been doing with his experiences
- 25:37 Highlight of organizations
- 27:08 Reach out to Reggie for help
- 28:30 Autograph donation
- 28:55 Thank you’s
- 29:41 Words of wisdom
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND WEBSITE